The Electrical Engineer is responsible for the execution of electrical engineering and design documents according to project budget, schedule and quality. He/she reports in a strong matrix organization to the Lead Electrical Engineer / Engineering Manager for the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts with a group of engineers and designers providing technical direction primarily at a project level. Projects will be located in North America, and may be green or brown field. Project personnel may be located at the same office location, or remotely in other time zones and may also not be direct employees.
- Ability to perform duties of responsible engineer over engineering work under his/her supervision, including sealing of contract documents when required, is a plus. Documents required to be sealed may be, but not limited to: Single Line Diagrams, Engineering Specifications, Load lists, Equipment Lists, Schematic Diagrams, Junction Box Drawings, Distribution Panel Drawings, Data Sheets, Interconnection Diagrams, Electrical Block Diagrams, Electrical Layout Drawings for Cable Routing, Grounding, Lightning Protection, Lighting, E-Houses, Sub-Stations, Technical Specifications and Power Studies.
- Sets priorities and reconciles conflicting interests over the duration of a project.
- Demonstrates through their actions an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Viewed as a technical resource.
- Plans and coordinates detailed aspects of engineering work for a project.
- Plans, schedules or coordinates the preparation of documents or completion of activities for multiple projects.
- Reviews operational procedures to ensure compliance with applicable policies and performance measures.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering. Other disciplines may be considered based on work experience.
- 7 years minimum electrical engineering experience in the industry. MS degree may count toward 1 year of work experience.
- Electrical engineering experience in the power, petrochemical, heavy industrial, chemical plants and heavy industrial process industry. Additional industries may be considered based on experience gained.
Required and preferred Certifications & Memberships:
- Professional Engineering (PE) registrations (preferred).
- Ability to promptly obtain further PE registrations as business needs arise.
- Ability to operate as Designated Professional (or similar depending on jurisdiction) as necessary for business or organizational needs. (preferred)
- Continual maintenance of professional registrations obtained.
- Meets Model Law Engineer requirements and holds NCEES record (preferred).
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential holder (preferred).
- Interprets, organizes, executes and coordinates engineering assignments on a project level.
- Assures all engineering work is carried out in accordance with tk Uhde technical standards and procedures, and applicable governmental regulations.
- Fully versed in the operation of the Electrical engineering discipline, and maintains an advanced level of understanding for how engineering concepts are applied to solve problems.
- Experienced in specifying, ordering, and managing pre-fabricated substations and electrical and instrumentation pre-fabricated buildings for industrial process facilities.
- Participates and assists in FATs and SATs for packaged equipment, skid units, E-Houses, MCCs, Switchgears, VFDs, Transformers and UPS.
- Reviews and comments on packaged equipment and design drawing packages developed by third-party suppliers. Assists with third-party supplier interface as required.
- Checks drawings, specifications and calculations produced by design team, suppliers, and equipment or packaged unit providers.
- Provides Procurement with RFQ and RFP packages to procure electrical equipment as required for each project. Participates on vendor review and selection process including participation in shop audits.
- Knowledge of NEC, CEC, IEEE, API, ISA, CSA, ANSI and ASME standards.
- Knowledge and use of ACAD is preferred.
- Knowledge and use of SmartPlant (SPI, SPEL, SPPID) and E-Plan design tools is a plus.
- Assists upper level management as well as other engineering disciplines as required.
- Supervises the preparation and review of design drawings, calculations, visual aids, technical specifications/data sheets for complex Electrical systems.
- Familiar with the standard engineering office computer software including Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, and Power Point.
- Observes construction activities as applicable.
- Receives administrative supervision with assignments given in terms of general objectives and limits.
- Possess superior oral and written communication skills, and remote collaboration is essential due to the international coordination required for this work.
- Interact positively with the Client, official contacts, project teams, equipment suppliers, contractors and office staff.
- Professionally represent tk Uhde, and maintain relationships with engineering leadership in outside organizations.
- Consistently demonstrates initiative and decisiveness, and effectively influences others.
- Effectively work within diverse, multi-national, and multi-cultural project teams.
- Based in Houston, with travel to visit Clients, tkIS subsidiaries, vendor/supplier facilities, detailer’s shops or project sites as an inherent part of the position.
- Able to support sales in estimating projects, meeting with potential Clients, and developing engineering proposals.
- International travel may be required at times in multi-week increments.
- Ability to work effectively from home, the assigned office, or a hybrid arrangement.
thyssenkrupp Uhde USA recognizes and appreciates the exceptional quality of its employees. We are proud to offer challenging jobs with competitive benefits. Employees of tkIS USA receive a variety of financial and personal job benefits. The suite of benefits offered is meant as a supplement to your financial package and adds to your total compensation. Below is a brief summary of benefits which are available to all fulltime employees:
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance - Company Paid
- STD/LTD - Company Paid
- FSA & HSA
- Voluntary Accident
- Hospital Indemnity
- Critical Illness
- Identity Theft Protection
- 401(k) Plan
- Roth IRA
- Supplemental Life & ADD
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
If you are an applicant with a California residency, please click on the following link: California Job Applicant Notice of Collection