The Director of Sales position is a key member of Bilstein of America’s Aftermarket and Motorsports (AM-MS) leadership team. In this role you will be responsible for generating existing and new sales across our North America dealer network by building and managing strong customer relationships and partnerships. You will lead a team of Account Managers and sales support staff in the development and implementation of AM-MS sales and market strategy for North America in accordance with tk Bilstein of America (BIA) and BU Damper management. Reporting directly to the President of AM-MS for Bilstein of America, you will also have a matrixed reporting relationship to the Global Head of Sales IAM and VP of Aftermarket Business for the Business Unit Damper.
This role is based in our Poway, CA office with 20-25% domestic and international travel expected.
Your Responsibilities Include:
- Directs aftermarket sales strategy in North America in accordance with tk Bilstein of America (BIA) and BU Damper management. Leads a small, yet high performing, team of account managers to cover existing customers and new customers throughout North America.
- Develops and executes strategic plans to optimize sales and achieves sales operational objectives.
- Establishes, maintains and develops business relationships with customers and potential customers to optimize customer base revenue & profitability. Proactively establishes relationships at higher levels of key accounts to identify unspoken needs and ensure rapid resolution of issues if/when they occur. Acts as the “voice of the customer” on all internal discussions, etc.
- Develops new markets for all Aftermarket Bilstein products.
- Collaborates with Engineering, Product Management, Marketing and Operations leadership to optimize sales and profit.
- Delivers reports and presentations to the BIA Management and the BU Board on market trends and news, sales results, planning and progress.
- Establishes annual budgets and mid-term planning by forecasting and developing annual sales quotas for North America, projecting expected sales volumes and profit for existing and new products, projecting and monitoring departmental costs.
- Builds an inclusive environment that attracts, retains, and inspires a diverse and engaged Creates trusted and valued relationships and communicates effectively, so that people throughout the organization feel engaged and connected to their work.
- Coach and mentor sales team on how to implement the sales strategy and provides training, succession planning, and talent management for the sales group
- Responds promptly to inquiries and provides proposals or options for quality and/or sales required to meet customers’ needs. Expedites the resolution of customer problems/complaints.
- Attends industry trade shows, sales meetings, marketing workshops and other special events as required. Hosts and coordinates customer visits.
- Provides management with oral and written reports on customer needs, concerns, interests, market situation, competitive activities and potential for new products and/or services.
- Keeps abreast of products, applications, technical service, market conditions, competitive activities, advertising and promotional trends through the reading of pertinent literature and consulting with marketing and technical services.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business, Finance, Marketing, Engineering or related field or equivalent in education and experience.
- Extensive successful experience working with and building strong partnerships in the automotive aftermarket.
- Demonstrated experience forecasting, budgeting, and managing a P&L.
- Ability to understand and grasp technical design and manufacturing concepts.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills to include influencing, collaboration and building of strong, lasting relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact and communicate with multiple levels and disciplines. Possesses and displays strong consulting skills, including the capability to quickly identify and develop improvement opportunities and build the trust and confidence and credibility with Customers, key OE partners, individual contributors, line managers and leaders.
- Understanding of and ability to work in a matrix management organization sharing leadership responsibilities with the heads of others departments.
- Proven success building professional relationships and creating high levels of commitment and performance within teams.
- Demonstrated proficiency in balancing immediate and long-term priorities to meet critical objectives while considering the impact of those decisions and activities on the ability to achieve long-term goals.
- Proven experience successfully articulating, inspiring and engaging commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals. Demonstrated attention to detail and the ability to manage changing and competing priorities is critical to this role. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who possesses a strong drive for results and demonstrates a strong business acumen.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Must be able to translate complex concepts and problems into formal and written presentations. Dynamic presentation skills necessary to be able to confidently stand up in front of the organization and make impactful presentations to large groups of employees.
- Align corporate strategies to effectively execute aftermarket sales. This requires a deep understanding of the strategic directions and strong ability to influence direction of individual business units to ensure the whole is better than the parts.
- Must have advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications. Experience with ERP systems required. Knowledge of and experience with SAP desired.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally with little notice.
- While not required, German language skills are a plus.
- 401(k) Matching
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Company-Paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Company-Paid Short-term Disability
- Annual credit to company store
- Discount employee shocks
- Gym benefit
- Frequent employee events
For additional information on our company culture, company benefits, or to potentially get scheduled for an interview, please text SHOCKS to 25000
If you are an applicant with a California residency, please click on the following link: California Job Applicant Notice of Collection